A leaking faucet is a real pain. The sound of water dripping is annoying as well as a source of wastage of this precious commodity. A leaking kitchen faucet can also at times create certain unhygienic conditions. Anyways we are here to discuss something different altogether and that is how to fix a leaking kitchen faucet.
It might seem like a difficult nut to crack and sound overwhelming but believe us it isn't. Just follow our instructions mentioned below, and you would do just fine.
1. Locate the leak: Now this is perhaps the most difficult step of the entire process. A leaking faucet is well... Just leaking. You can see the drip happening but how would you know from where its happening. Take a closer look at the faucet and observe the leak carefully, it will give you a fair idea about what could be the source of the leak.
2. Shut Down the Water Supply: Move below your sink. Do you see a shutdown valve, if yes then please use to cut off the water supply to the faucet. In case you down have a valve then you will have to shut down the master valve for your home in order to proceed to the next step.
3. Open The Faucet: Put the faucet in the center position and open it, this will relieve the water pressure that might be remaining. Now cover your basin or sink with a towel or even newspaper so as to avoid losing any small component in the process.
4. Since you are doing it for the first time: Whip out your cell phone, turn on its camera and start recording. This will help you remember which component fits where. Also, you can show it to the component shop guy thus enabling him with a better set of information to serve you with the right replacement part for your faucet.
5. Remove the Components: Using a wrench or similar tool remove the components and keep on recording the process. Remove the ball valve and the small components associated with it. Keep them all in a safe place.
6. Head to your plumbing shop: Now carry these removed components carefully to your favorite plumbing shop. Show the shopkeeper the components and tell him about the issue that you were facing. Also for his understanding show him the video also. He is the expert and would guide you in the right direction with the components that you might have to replace. Purchase the components that need to be replaced and head back home.
7. Assemble the faucet: Refer to the video you made while disassembling the faucet. Carefully start assembling the faucet with the replacement components. Make sure that you have done the right thing. Then reconnect the faucet and start the water supply. Voila, you are done.
See it wasn't that hard after all. You saved some money on the repair costs and also now you know how to fix a leaking kitchen faucet all by yourself.